It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

January 13, 2005

The Want to Do WHAT??

When I read this on Florida Politics, I went scurrying into my bedroom to hold my teddy bear. Then I started crying and whimpering for my mommy.

A move is under way by conservative Republicans in the Florida
Legislature to rewrite the Florida Constitution, setting off fears among
skeptics that it will turn into a legislative assault on abortion rights,
church-state separations and other controversial topics that have enjoyed protections from political intrusion.


But GOP Senator Daniel Webster from Orlando claims that the re-write is not intended to do any of those things:

Despite his own strongly conservative views, Webster insisted that he
would be looking for consensus, not controversy. "I will be balanced," he
said. "I may have a philosophical bent, but I want to try to make good
policy."


I don't know about you, but I don't trust him. Especially when he says things like this:

"Florida needs a Senator who will stick to principles and stick
with President Bush, even when the going gets tough. I have a strong
and consistent record of promoting conservative values while at the
same time unifying all Republicans for common good and common goals."


Hold me, I'm scared.