It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

March 30, 2005

Copy-cat Crucifixion

The Poor Man has a nice post with twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy photos with the pictures and arrows and a paragraph on the back each one about a staged crucifixion held in Phillipines.

Enaje’s face contorted in pain as the nails were driven to his palms and feet. He was made to hang in the cross for nearly 10 minutes before being pulled down as a throng of tourists gasped in disbelief.

He was later rushed to an ambulance.


Then he goes on to compare this to type of shinanigans to the affects Grand Theft Auto or Beavis and Butthead might have on the youth of today.

I think that's a valid point. There's lots of crazy things about christianity that one should certainly not try to emulate. For instance, that whole agreeing to sacrifice your son thing, I've always found a little disturbing. Though when I was younger, because of the way my big brother used to treat me, I didn't perceive it to be nearly as offensive.

In reality, you can take just about anything and make it "harmful to the children" depending on how you spin it.

The Cat in the Hat - They actually had 'fun' while their mommy was not home AND let a stranger in the house

Scooby Doo - Everyone knows that Shaggy was a stoner and both he and Scooby had very poor eating habits

Batman and Robin - Two single fellas wearing tights and capes? Come on now.

I think they key is to make sure kids know the difference between fantasy and fiction, and maybe teach some common sense too. But what do I know, I'm just a little girl.

But check out the Poor Man's post. It's neat-o.

1 Comments:

  • At March 31, 2005, Blogger cookie christine said…

    Thanks alot! That's one of those memories that I've blocked. But know I remember why I'm only 5'2". You really are going to hell.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home