It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

June 28, 2005

Her name is RIO and she dances on the Iraqi sand

From Raw Story

Scrutiny of Halliburton dealings with the U.S. military intensified
today, as military and professional witnesses lambasted the company, and
a report by two prominent Democrats and backed by a military audit
priced the alleged abuse at over $1.4 billion.


That means so much to me. Like a birthday or a pretty view.

Speaking at a hearing held by hill Democrats, Bunnatine Greenhouse,
a procurement official from the Army's Corps of Engineers, launched a
scathing attack on the actions of Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown
and Root. "I can unequivocally state," Greenhouse told lawmakers, "that
the abuse related to contracts awarded to KBR represents the most blatant
and improper contract abuse I have witnessed during the course of my
professional career."


I’ll take my chance, ’cause luck is on my side???? WTF?

"The Office of the Secretary of Defense ultimately controlled the award
of the RIO contract," Greenhouse said, "and controlled the terms of the
contract that was to be awarded even over my objection to specific terms
that were ultimately included in the contract." Greenhouse claimed that
procedures normally handled by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers were
taken over by the State Department. "I observed, first hand, that
essentially every aspect of the RIO (Restore Iraqi Oil) contract remained
under the control of the Office of the Secretary of Defense."


Hey now (wow), look at that. Did he nearly run you down?

When government dealings start to resemble a Duran Duran song, there is something very, very wrong.