It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

April 29, 2005

Friday Random Thoughts-Blogging Part II

This kind of plays into the fervent cell-phone debate going on over at Bottle Of Blog here and here, of which I seem to be the only pro-cell-phone person who reads Ricky's blog (Why do they hate technology and progress??).

So, last night, I was walking to the yacht club for the weekly Thursday night race. There was a fellow walking behind me, that said Hi. So, I said hi, noticed the complete lack of a wedding ring, and started chatting. He's new in town, this is the second time he's been to the club, etc. etc. etc.

Then, of all horrid things to happen, my cell phone rang. What would Ricky and Ellen and Janis and Rosie do, I thought??? I mean, I'm enjoying this conversation with a real person, and I really don't want to listen to my phone ring several times while I'm talking. I don't want to be rude. What do I do???

So, I looked at the caller ID, realized it was the skipper of my boat, no doubt wondering why I'm so late, and should they leave without me. But I pressed the 'stop ringing and go into voice mail' button and said "I don't need to take that," and continued chatting with this nice gentleman.

But then I got to thinkin'. Do I owe him an explanation? Should I tell him who was on the phone and why? This fellow thinks I'm hiding something. He thinks that's my evil abusive boyfriend on the line wondering why I'm not home fixing him dinner and fetching his slippers. Or he thinks I like him too much for just meeting him and talking for two minutes, seeing as how I'm forsaking all others for him already. Or he thinks I'm one of those rude cell phone freaks that make Ellen and Jerry cringe. Ack!

So, we talked as we walked, and soon we parted ways, as I really did need to hightail it down to the boat. The race was canceled due to a lack of wind, and I didn't see this fellow again. But maybe I will next week, if he wasn't too turned off by my cell phone ringing.

14 Comments:

  • At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cookie, I LOVE my cell phone! I am a guilty car-driving cellphone user. I call my daughter on the phone and my parents and my husband. It connects me with people I want to talk to, as opposed to people that my house phone tries to connect me with (who I ignore most of the time). I'm just not much of a talker to begin with, and I don't like having conversations when I'm around other people.

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just hate technology and progress. I'm against anything that isn't specifically mentioned in the bible.

    I'm Amish.

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Blogger cookie christine said…

    Ricky,
    could you please point me to the speedo and the master baiter sections of the bible? I'm having trouble finding them. Thanks!

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's in Leviticus, of course. All the dirty stuff is.

    I thought you of all people would know that.

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've heard through the grapevine that Ricky delivers his Speedos in a little black carriage. (It has a big flourescent orange triangle on the back so cars won't hit him. The other Amish men have been secretly bribing tourists with shoofly pies to hit Ricky's carriage, but don't tell him that, Cookie. It's our secret.)

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That ain't an orange triangle. It's a dayglo speedo. Hung just right, it's guaranteed to stop traffic, baby...

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Blogger cookie christine said…

    Hung just right? Now that sounds dirty. tee-hee

    Leviticus 15:16-18
    And if a man has an emission of semen, he shall bathe his whole body in water, and be unclean until the evening. And every garment and every skin on which the semen comes shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the evening. If a man lies with a woman and has an emission of semen, both of them shall bathe themsleves in water, and be unclean until the evening.

    There are some dirty parts in there. Who knew?

     
  • At April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not just hung, but well hung...

     
  • At April 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How appropriate that a post involving yacht racing should include a discussion of the loss of seamen!

     
  • At April 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, like the old definitions of sex: a navel engagement with a loss of semen? har har har

     
  • At April 30, 2005, Blogger cookie christine said…

    I'm not familiar with that definition of sex. What in the heck were they teaching you back in the olden days? Navel?

    I really think the navel is an auxillary part. Certainly not the main focus.

     
  • At April 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By crackys, they taught us the real stuff, not like he touchy-feely every-viewpoint-has-its-own-validity pap they serve to you youngsters!

    And think about it...that's "navel-to-navel" engagement...where does that leave the nasty parts, given a proper missionary position...lord, do we have to tell you everything? 10-year-olds may be fun, if you can get them to come inside with a promise of ice cream, but, lorly, are you naive!

     
  • At April 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Navel is not the main focus???

    Oh, Cookie!

    If you've never gone at, outie on innie, well, you know, you're just a tourist, after all...

     
  • At May 01, 2005, Blogger cookie christine said…

    Ricky,
    there you go with the 'Oh Cookie' again. And talking about hot outie on innie action. It's a wonder I get anything done around here besides cold showers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home