It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

March 24, 2005

Darn Those Leftist Totalitarian Dictator Professors

There's this goofy bill that passed the Florida House Choice and Innovation Committee that "aims to stamp out 'leftist totalitarianism' by 'dictator professors' in the classrooms of Florida’s universities."

According to a legislative staff analysis of the bill, the law would give students who think their beliefs are not being respected legal standing to sue professors and universities.

Students who believe their professor is singling them out for "public ridicule" – for instance, when professors use the Socratic method to force students to explain their theories in class – would also be given the right to sue.


I hope this trickles down to my third-grade class. Then, when the teacher makes a scene when I fall asleep in class I can sue her. Or if she gives me a bad grade in art because she doesn't like my drawings, I can sue her again. Yay!!! More Litigation!!