It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

April 07, 2005

Aliens and Sheep

So, last week, I had an opportunity to go sailing with one of my usual group of sailing buddies, but I was a little tired and had blogged worked late, so I was gonna sit this one out.

But then, the bat phone rang! A girlfriend told me that another girlfriend had called a guyfriend and the guyfriend called girlfriend #1 and told her that she should be on her best behavior, and to call me, and tell me to behave as well. Evidently, there would be a new girl on the boat that our skipper had the hots for, and we should behave.

At first I was confused. I'm usually nice to new people, right? I'm pleasant, and I don't insult people and get all sarcastic on them until I know them pretty well. It's kind of my special way of saying 'I like you. You're OK.' So, what specific kind of behavior were they trying to surpress?? This would definitely require more investigation.

As I said before, I wasn't planning on going out sailing last Thursday, but given this new information, I decided it was my duty to break the new girl in. A 'trial by fire,' if you will, for our collective warped humor and drunken and oft-offensive behavior.

When I got on the boat and began my investigation, I realized that they just wanted us to make the new girl feel welcome. I guess the fellas think that close-knit groups of females either ignore, or are suspicious of new females in the group.

Now, I try to be nice to everyone I meet, but I think we can all be a little shy or at a loss for words when around someone new, unless you're one of those chatty-kathy-types. And maybe women, at least straight women, are prone to be more friendly towards new men, well, because they are men, and it's always nice to get attention from men.

I know that I get all atwitter when Ricky posts a comment, and I just smile a little when Ellen does. Is that something hard-wired in our species to keep our gene pool pure. Afterall, we don't want our men-folk mating with aliens and sheep, now do we? Not that the new girl on the boat was an alien or a sheep.

But then maybe she is. She never showed up. Maybe she didn't want the social stress of meeting a whole bunch of new women.

3 Comments:

  • At April 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The truth is: I have an "atwitter" macro that I use. It's "control", "option", the first four function keys and "delete".

    It ain't easy to do, but, boy, does it work!

    ricky

     
  • At April 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ricky taught me the "smile" macro, but I'm not sharing because I'm a girl.

     
  • At April 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe guys are kinda hinkey in such situations, it might have something to do with hoping the current circle of "friends who are girls" won't bust us to the new one. Especially about the sheep thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home