It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

April 14, 2005

I've Been Tagged By Ricky!

No, not like that, but a girl can dream, right? Another meme has made it's way to me, and being the good citizen that I am, I figure I'd answer the call this time.

Behold, the Caesar’s Bath meme! List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over. To use the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), “Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.

I've got a few circles of friends, and each one has their unique themes that I just don't get. So, we'll start with....

1. The Drunks - "Last Night was a train wreck." With these folks, every night is a train wreck. But it's the same story every time. "We stayed out drinking until 3am, got more beer, went back to the condo and watched the sun come up. So and so and so and so hooked up." "Why is the horizon moving?" "Oh, I guess the cruise ship is coming in and the horizon isn't moving, oops." And if I have to hear "Beer has food value, but food doesn't have beer value" one more time..... Now, I like to go out and tie one of from time to time, but not seven days a week for gods sakes.

2. Sailing Folks - They are all in these 'crewes.' They are clubs that donate to a few charities and they cost more than $500/year I think. Some are more prestigious and expensive than others. You get to dress up like a pirate four or five times a year and be in parades and throw beads, and they have a few meet and greets, membership drives and a formal every year. Kind of an organized party group. I much prefer my partying to be as disorganized as possible (see #1). I'm also a spur of the moment kind of gal, and all this requires way too much planning.

3. Dog Park People - Well, I guess the one thing that they all have in common is dogs. So that's what they talk about. But I can only stand so much talk of doggie discipline problems, flea control products and breath freshening chewies. I love my dog, but should your dog really be the center of your life? I think not. But luckily with this group, there's some drama that is developing, so maybe the topics will change.

4. Co-workers - Reality TV. I don't watch it. I know nothing about it. I have no interest in it. And I have absolutely nothing to add to these conversations.

5. Now to be fair, I'm using #5 to say what it is about me that my friends "don't get." Blogging for one, none of them seem to get. None of them read my blog on a regular basis (good thing, because I kinda dogged on 'em in #1 - #4). So it's kind of hard to explain posts and comments and all the neat people I've met here in the blogosphere and the exhilarating colloquies that go on. You just have to be here, right? And yard work. Most of my friends live in condos and apartments. No one seems to be interested in chinch bugs and lawn mower maintenance. I'm not sure why....

Now I get to tag people! Woo-hoo! Mary, Rod from the Tattered Coat, and of course Jerry, because he thought he was getting out of it.

1 Comments:

  • At April 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in - many of mine are the same as yours, but here goes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home