It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

April 13, 2005

Jesus and the Little Lamb

Pissed off Patricia from Blondesense has a nice post about how the religious right is hijacking christianity.

When I was a little girl and attended Sunday school, my Sunday school teacher gave me a little picture. The picture depicted a kind and gentle looking Jesus holding a little baby lamb. I loved that picture because it was so sweet and it made me feel safe and good.

I was the same way when I was a kid. That picture represented to me that we were Jesus's little lambs and he would take care of us, protect us, and lead us in the right direction.

Then as I grew older, I saw and learned some of the horrible things that were done in the name of God and Jesus. The bigotry, the killing and the wars. That's certainly not a God I want to be associated with.

Then further down the page on Blondesense, Liz wonders why the mainstream religious folks don't put a stop to this madness.

One of my very first posts, back when I was a little girl, The Sunday School Party, deals with this topic.

So, I was thinking about changing the name of the Democratic Party to the Sunday School Party. In Sunday School they teach us to be nice to everyone, even icky boys, old people even if they smell funny, and boys who like other boys. They teach us not to lie about anything, especially WMD, ties to Al-Qaeda, and Haliburton. And not to steal things, like money, especially from people who don't have very much. And to help people and try to make sick people feel better, whether it's through better healthcare, cheaper prescription drugs, or new medical treatments and procedures. And to take care of the earth and all of God's wonderful creatures. And not to kill thousands of people. And to say you're sorry when you do something bad or make a mistake.

Shouldn't we all try really, really, really hard to be nice to each other instead of mean? It would really make the world a nicer and sunnier place.


Maybe the problem is that people that otherwise would be mainstream religious folks are leaving the church in droves for the same reasons that Patricia and I did.

1 Comments:

  • At April 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Same here - I got to the point that I did not want my name associated with the church - sorta like having your name listed with Hitler or any other brutal dictator whose name I won't mention, but it starts with a BUSH.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home