It's Recess-time Somewhere

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Sandbox

October 10, 2005

Scalia Not Bitter

"I'm not even sure I wanted it, to tell you the truth," Scalia told
reporters at a media briefing before a gala dinner at the Waldorf Astoria
Hotel in Manhattan.

Bush, who had in the past mentioned Scalia as one role model for an ideal
chief justice, passed on Scalia and nominated John Roberts after
Rehnquist's death.

Scalia said the time he would have had to devote to administering the court as chief justice would have taken away from his thinking and writing.


Scalia was later heard mumbling "don't worry about me, I'll be fine, I'm not bitter or anything and I really just want to think and write anyway."

Afterwards, Scalia sulked on off to New York where he will serve as the Grand Marshall of New York's Columbus Day Parade. Taking a break from his usual tasks of "discovering" links to religion in the Constitution, he will be celebrating the "discovery" of the new world, slavery, imperialism and other atrocities committed by Europeans during the 15th and 16th centuries.